apps-gnustep

GNUMail.app -> Next version

From: Ludovic Marcotte
Subject: GNUMail.app -> Next version
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:48:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'm planning to shorten the delay between each GNUMail.app / Pantomime
releases.

I would like to release GNUMail.app 1.0.2 / Pantomime 1.0.4 on May 17th,
2002.

Here's a list of what will be done for the next release:

1) Filtering. Some work must be done to the filtering code of GNUMail.app.
   Here's a list of what needs to be done:

   a) add multiple criteria support for the same filter rule
   b) add support for an external program (for example, we should be able
      to invoke Spamassasin in the first rule, and filter the result in
      a second criteria to the right mailbox)
   c) we should have an option like {To, Cc, To or Cc} "Is in Address
      Book"

2) Offer a way to show or hide read/unread messages much like we do for
   deleted mails.

3) IMAP. The IMAP code in GNUMail.app / Pantomime should be modified to:

   a) work better with Cyrus
   b) support namespaces

4) Make use of Localizable.strings files under OS X and modify the nibs.

5) Icons. Some icons need to be changed since they don't really represent
   anything or are just plain ugly. Here are the ones that need to be
   replaced:

   a) Preferences Panel - Viewing, Receiving and Filtering
   b) MailWindow - Get, Mailboxes and Find

6) Create an activity window. The content of this window will inform the
   user about what's going on in the application.

7) Be able to stop the following operations (that may be lengthy):

   a) Bouncing a message;
   b) Sending a new message;
   c) Receiving mails;

8) Be able to define Draft/Outbox/Trash folders on an IMAP server.

9) Bugs. Those bugs need to be fixed:

   a) if we rename a POP3 server, we must rename its POP3 cache;
   b) when defining a personal profile w/o saving the preferences,
      make the new profile available to the sending panel for
      the transport methods;
   c) fix the window position/sizing bugs under OS X;
   d) fix the table views / outline views table column sizing bugs under
      OS X;
   e) some usability problems must be fixed under OS X (like key
      bindings);
   f) remove the message from the Drafts folder when it has been restored
      from this folder and successfully sent.

10) Goodies. If time is on our side, I would like to add the following
    features for the next release:

    a) be able to import OS X's Mail.app addresses from the Address Book;
    b) reuse the same MailWindow for multiple mailboxes;
    c) better support for multipart/appledouble (maybe);
    d) message threading support;
    e) the "We do talk a lot about it but I do nothing about it" PGP/GPG
       bundle.

Again, contributions would be very welcomed! If you are interested in
working on something, please write me an email about it so we don't
duplicate the efforts.

Thanks a lot,
                Ludovic

--