apps-gnustep

Re: changing colors of menus to match wmaker

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: changing colors of menus to match wmaker
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:06:01 +0100

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Chris Conn wrote:
> > I've just installed GWorkspace and Affiche on my Slackware
> > Linux box, have them running and I'm wondering if there is
> > a way to change the pull-down menus to match the menu colors
> > I'm using in WindowMaker, haven't seen anything in the docs
> > or on the web about this. Thanks for any advice,
>
> In GNUstep the colours used for the menu come from the system colour
> list. This is a binary file System.clr situated in
> ~/GNUstep/Library/Colors.

This file is just a cache. It's created using a bunch of defaults
entries. Unfortunately, the keys aren't documented, but it's pretty easy
to find the table of names in NSColor.m .

> The colours you are interested in are
> selectedMenuItemColor, selectedMenuItemTextColor,
> controlBackgroundColor, controlTextColor. As the file is binary the best
> way to change the colours is currently (until preferences comes with a
> way to change them or we add this to the normal Color picker) to write a
> short helper tool that creates a new colour list.

You could try:

http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/ColorSchemeEditor-0.1.tar.gz
(standalone)
http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/ColorsPrefs-0.1.tar.gz (bundle
for Preferences)

Both are fairly old, so I'm not sure how well they'll work today. Would
probably be a good place to rip code from if you want to write a better
app/bundle. :)

- Alexander Malmberg