apps-gnustep

Re: Gorm - Windows

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Gorm - Windows
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:03:17 +0200

On 07/24/2013 02:21 AM, Rene BRANDT wrote:
Hi,

I have just downloaded GNUstep 0.30.0 and Gorm 1.2.8 the last version for
Windows, but it didn't work.

What is the solution ?

I worked 40 years on IBM mainframes and we never had a problem of new release
because all parts of old release were included in the new release. Why can't
you do the same ?

Many thanks for your help.

The difference is that IBM got paid some serious money by millions of companies to get those nice bugfree releases.

The alternative, and what's possible with free software (and was possible with open software before the unbundling), is that YOU, since you seem to have the hitch to scratch and the time to do it, should correct the situation.

Learn Objective-C (it's not that hard), and learn OpenStep/Cocoa (not really hard either, just a lot of work), and patch GNUstep to make it better, implementing smooth installation procedures, and missing frameworks, etc.

Notice how GNUstep, despite the age of this project (about 13 years), is only at version 0.30.

Apart from the size of the project, this means that there are only a handful of contributors, able to work only part time on it, which is not enough, and there are probably even less non-programmer users (it's so easy to just buy shiny Apple hardware to get a similar framework. And Apple like IBM, is paid a lot of money to ensure new releases are nice and bugfree (and they also pay a lot of money to have the privilege of forwarding data about their customers to the NSA to get some protection against "terrorists" too, but that's another subject)).

I would do that, if I had the time to do it.
--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/