artanis

Re: Artanis Logo

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: Artanis Logo
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 22:30:51 +0800

Hi Benson!

Benson Muite writes:

> There are a number of openly licensed Chinese fonts, for example:
> https://github.com/yetist/open-chinese-fonts
> https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/source-han-serif-traditional-chinese#fonts-section
> https://github.com/lxgw/LxgwWenKai

These are not calligraphy fonts, the regular fonts are good for text,
but looks so weird for a Chinese native without a calligraphic style.

I've goolgled a positve example:
https://img.tusij.com/qianku_assets/ips_templ_preview/2021-09-17/lg_680077_1631872204_614464ccef43e.jpg%21w390?auth_key=1697587200-0-0-8a1a57bb0918c580baef08694e44a511

Please note that the pic and the design site are based on non-free
stuffs.
I have to say, if I need a logo for my company opensource project, I'd
use/buy such a kind of service. But for GNU Artanis, I hope we can make it
in a way that respect the freedom as possible. It doesn't have to be
done soon, but we could wait till our community grown up to contribute.

> For one or two characters, maybe it is easier to draw them directly as
> SVG paths? Stylistic versions can also be created specifically for the
> logo. 有志者,事竟成。

Of course, the calligraphy Chinese characters can be handwritten, this
can avoid the limit of the license. But I'm not a good calligrapher for
it...

Well, if you ask me, I'd recommend we design the logo without Chinese character.

> For sites in Mandarin, having some good open source default font in a
> template would be helpful.

For the web text of documentation, we can find a free font for
it. This is the easiest part. ;-)

We still don't have Chinese version site yet, we need volunteers.

--
GNU Powered it
GPL Protected it