arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Gnome and MS Windows?

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Gnome and MS Windows?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:59:01 -0500 (EST)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> One of the "must have" features for any version control system is the
> ability to work on MS Windows. Although I personally escaped Redmond a
> few years ago, the reality is that most projects I work on are still
> cross-platform.
>
> My impression is that arx is in a better position to work on MS Windows
> that tla, because it uses shorter path names, and more standard libraries.
>
> However, I noticed in the recent 2.1.1 changelog that arx now uses gnome
> url encoding, in addition to the earlier dependency on gnome-vfs. I'm a
> bit concerned that too much reliance on gnome may make it harder to port
> to MS Windows later. Is this a realistic concern?

In this particular case, I would say no.  When you access an http or
https address, you have to url-escape it.  The only way to access
http(s) addresses is through gnome-vfs2, so no dependencies are added.
I would expect that any library that enables http(s) access will have
a similar utility.

The dependency on gnome-vfs is limited to one include file
(src/arx/include/gvfs.hpp) and a few small implementation files
(src/arx/utility_functions/gvfs/*).  The dependency on posix is
limited to the few places where I deal with permissions

  src/arx/utility_functions/edit_path.cpp
  src/arx/utility_functions/make_non_writeable.cpp
  src/arx/utility_functions/property_action.cpp
  src/arx/utility_functions/do_patch/apply_patches/patch_file.cpp

Walter