arx-users

[Arx-users] Flailing around, and a segfault

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Arx-users] Flailing around, and a segfault
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:57:23 -0500

So I'm trying to understand how to interact with a remote archive
(wlandry arx, in this case). The example on the ArX web site tells you
how to get a readonly copy, but not how to fork it so you can work on a
branch. Same with section 4.4 of the manual.

I did a "get", and then a "fork", and I was able to commit changes to my
local archive. But now I can't see how to merge the latest stuff off
~wlandry. The answers might be in the docs, but I'm not seeing them. The
built-in --help commands are just a bit too terse. In particular, they
could use examples of what a [REVISION] might look like, or a [branch].

My best guess (looking at section 5.7.1) didn't work:

address@hidden test $ arx archives
address@hidden
        file:///home/kevins/_arx-archive
address@hidden
        http://superbeast.ucsd.edu/~landry/ArX/wlandry
address@hidden test $ arx fork address@hidden/arx test-arx arx
Can't fork from this branch.  It doesn't exist in the archive.
        address@hidden/arx

I would have thought that the browse command would show what is in a
remote archive. Apparently it only works on the local archive?

Along the way, I tried this:

address@hidden test $ arx fork address@hidden/arx.2.1,0 test-arx arx
Segmentation fault

The stack trace in gdb's was even less helpful than the last one.

Other questions:

I feel like I want to rename my local archive to eliminate the
"--archive" at the end. Is there a clean and simple way to do this (and
is it a good idea to fit in with the new ArX world?)

How can I view the checkin history of a single file? In particular, if
I'm working in my own branch of the ArX code, how can I view the history
of the file prior to my branching?

I suspect if I could just grasp how ArX thinks about remote archives,
this would all become much more clear.

Thanks,

Kevin