arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Conflict resolution

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Conflict resolution
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:12:40 -0500 (EST)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> The manual definitely needs more discussion about how to resolve
> conflicts. The output of merge might also be improved, although I'm not
> yet sure about that. I've been using version control for decades, but
> have almost never had to deal with conflicts, so this is all new to me.
>
> I had already fixed the gnome-vfs url encoding thing on my system. When
> I pulled the latest patches from wlandry, it told me about a conflict. I
> made a half-hearted attempt to figure out what to do, but ended up
> committing something that's just plain wrong.
>
> Now I'm not sure how to fix it. I think I'll be able to figure out how
> to obtain a copy of gvfs.hpp from wlandry's head, replace my copy with
> that, and commit it. I suspect there are cleaner ways to handle this,
> perhaps involving some undo's and re-merges.

I think

  arx file-undo src/arx/include/gvfs.hpp address@hidden/arx.2.1,135

will do it.

> Actually, since this was just a scratch branch of arx anyway, I'll
> probably just blow it away and re-sync with the wlandry head.
>
> I know there are tons of things that can be done, over time, to improve
> how conflicts are handled. For now, I'm really just interested in making
> sure that newbies like me are given every possible opportunity to make
> the right choices when a conflict comes up. Hopefully just a few words
> here or there will be enough to help dramatically.

I certainly think that the manual should actually walk through
resolving a conflict.  Right now it just tells you that there might be
conflicts, and you should solve them.  Resolving conflicts might even
be its own section.  Especially if it goes over how to use the various
graphical merge tools (ediff, meld, xxdiff, etc.) to resolve
conflicts.

Walter