arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] ArX server requirements

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] ArX server requirements
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:53:47 -0500

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 09:46 -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Can I serve a readonly ArX archive from a $2/mo web host that only gives
> > me ftp access?
>
> Yes, although it is not as easy as it might be.  You have to manually
> update the .listing file each time you commit.  Making that easier is
> on my todo list, about halfway through the list of "Things that will
> happen".

Ugh. Ok. As long as it can happen. Being able to serve ArX from *any*
cheap/free web host is one of its compelling features.

It is really hard to find any information about .listing on the web. Is
this a GNU arch invention, or did it come from somewhere else?

I was quite surprised by all this because darcs doesn't seem to have
this limitation. If I understand correctly, it never needs to do a
directory listing because it keeps inventory and manifest files that
list everything it needs to know about. I'm not sure about that, though.

> > Can I serve a readonly ArX archive from *any* web server software (e.g.
> > boa, thttpd, jetty), or is it tuned to only work with certain servers
> > like apache?
>
> If you can configure the webserver to handle webdav, it will be more
> robust.  But if you are willing to update .listing files, then _any_
> webserver will do.

Is there any realistic way to avoid the need for listings at all? If
not, I guess automatic, robust .listing support is going to be pretty
important (to me).

Kevin