arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] ArX server requirements

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] ArX server requirements
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:38:24 -0500

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 22:21 -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I was quite surprised by all this because darcs doesn't seem to have
> > this limitation. If I understand correctly, it never needs to do a
> > directory listing because it keeps inventory and manifest files that
> > list everything it needs to know about.
>
> That sounds a like the moral equivalent of a .listing file.

Ok. More evidence that automatic .listing file generation should be
fine. In darcs, things are a bit simpler because each repository is a
branch, so they don't need any cross-branch inventory lists.

> I thought that darcs requires a cgi script to serve over http.  If you
> are allowed to run cgi scripts, then you can just use one that
> generates .listing files on the fly.  Jan Hudec has already written
> one

No, darcs does not require the cgi script. That script just adds
friendlier human browsing capabilities. I hosted several darcs
repositories on my fairly-cheap http-only web host. Do you know how to
detect whether or not I was unknowingly using anonymous webdav
(readonly) capabilities? Here is one example:

  http://qualitycode.com/repos/wxruby-swig/

> > If not, I guess automatic, robust .listing support is going to be
> > pretty important (to me).
>
> It is not possible to make it really robust.  You can make it robust
> enough, though.

Ok. I'm not sure what that means, but "enough" should be sufficient (by
definition), so I should be happy.

Thanks,

Kevin