arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] useful lib...

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] useful lib...
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:44:10 -0500 (EST)

"Kevin Light" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > An interesting thing to do would be to just replace gnome-vfs with
> > boost::filesystem.  You will have to do some hacking in
> > boost::filesystem because I have modified it to use hard links.  After
> > that, and fixing up the files you mention (the only problem is that they
> > call chmod), everything should, in theory ;), work.
> >
> > As an aside, I have done some work on the getting ArX working under
> > Cygwin.  It compiles and I can run through parts of the test suite, but
> > I am having problems running "fork".  So I feel I am getting close.
>
> Back when ArX first moved to gnome-vfs I made an attempt to make it work
> under cygwin without too much luck.  Over the past few days I've done a
> little digging, and while it appears that gnome-vfs has been made to work
> on cygwin with some hacks, gnome-vfs under mingw (native win32) isn't
> quite there yet.
>
> ORBit2 seems to be the stumbling block to getting gnome-vfs to compile (at
> least for me).  Tor had made some comment a while back on one of the lists
> about getting some upstream changes made so that a native win32 set could
> be made.  I couldn't find any recent noise, so its either been done and
> I'm clueless, or it's not been high enough on anyones list to get any
> attention.
>
> Since I think Walters already aware of all of this,

Actually, I wasn't aware.  But I did just ask on the gnome-vfs list
about win32, and the response was the same thing you just said: ORBit2
is problematic.  With your new information, I found this thread

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2003-August/msg00170.html

which references a bug that hasn't seen activity for about 6 months.
So I wouldn't hold my breath.

> my reason for posting is to voice my support of lightening the
> gnome-vfs dependency.  While using cygwin would make ArX on win32
> possible, I find it a bit heavy for my typical use and I'm sure
> others feel the same way.

gnome-vfs is not a "light" library, even on Linux.  But Cygwin would
be better than nothing right now.

Walter