arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Playing with sig command

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Playing with sig command
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:32:30 -0500

Walter Landry wrote:
Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
I'll be interested to see this fix. I just fixed the silent failure of
the "browse" command locally, and there didn't seem to be a general
place to fix it that would have affected other commands. I'll look at
what you did...

I made a check in recursive_browse.hpp.

I see that. At a glance, it looked like a nice bit of refactoring.

I don't know how to prevent this case, since I would guess that you
signed a few revisions manually but quickly tired of typing in your
password.

I guess you're right. About all we can do is document that you probably don't want to start the process unless you have a key agent installed.

Right now, "sig --add" will overwrite all existing signatures.  It
wouldn't be too hard to only add signatures where they don't exist.

Seems like a nice long-term change. Not critical.

Also, I would argue that deleting keys from archives, and deleting
signatures from items this should probably prompt "are you sure?" unless
--force is specified (Unless they are deleting a signature made by a key
that has already been removed from the archive). These operations are
almost never what the user would actually want to do, and are not easily
reversible.

I am not entirely sure that it will be a disaster if you delete
signatures.  For the single user case, it certainly doesn't matter.
The multi-user case is probably rare enough right now such that we can
worry about it when we get feedback.

You're probably right about deleting individual signatures. I still think adding --force options to deleting a key, and to the revision delete commands would be a good thing. Lower priority than several items on your TODO list, but important for user friendliness.

Plus, the sig command is really something that should be rarely used.

Amen.

Kevin