arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Fwd: Errors in the mirror command ? (Segmentation errors

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Fwd: Errors in the mirror command ? (Segmentation errors too)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:36:27 -0500

Walter Landry wrote:
I have been thrashing about for designs, and I think I have come up
with something reasonable.  The main thing that I don't like about the
current setup is that mirrors have a different name from the master.
With the new scheme everything goes into the same name.  Thus, the
output of "arx archives" might look like

address@hidden
  file:///home/foo/bar
  http://foo.com/bar
  sftp://address@hidden/bar

This seems frighteningly sane. Again, I applaud your sense of design.

By default, the first one on the list is the location that will be
used for "get", "merge", "commit", etc.
(snip)

To change the order of
archives, so that a different one is the default used for "get" etc.,
you just unregister and reregister.

This bothers me slightly. Perhaps the register command could have an optional flag to force this entry to the top of the list (and it could work even if the archive is already registered. If you have 5 mirrors, and want to set one to the top, it would be a bit of a pain to have to unregister and reregister 4 of the 5.

It's a corner case, so it's not critical to have this feature, but it would be a nice touch, and I don't think it adds much complexity.

To actually mirror, you specify the archive, the source, and the
target.  So to mirror the local version to the sftp version, it would
be

  arx mirror address@hidden file:///home/foo/bar sftp://address@hidden/bar

Long, but scriptable (and abbreviatable as you point out). Any chance of supporting:
  arx mirror address@hidden --updateall

to automatically mirror the master to all the listed mirrors? I personally can't think of a use for updating one mirror but not the others.

Will/does ArX check to ensure that only one of the listed archives is a non-mirror? Are there any checks you can/will do to help users avoid ending up listing unrelated archives as if they were mirrors of each other?

Thanks,

Kevin