arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] ArX-2.2.0

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] ArX-2.2.0
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:54:40 -0500 (EST)

Marc Recht <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I have made another unstable release of of ArX.  You can find it in
> > the usual place
> >
> >   http://superbeast.ucsd.edu/~landry/ArX/ArX-2.2.0.tar.gz
> >
> > This release features cryptographic signatures.  The ArX archives are
> > now all signed.  This release also has improved mirroring, better
> > support for plain http archives, and support for OS X and Windows
> > under Cygwin.
> >
> > The way that archives are registered has changed, so all archives will
> > have to be reregistered.
> >

> I've one problem with this version. configure checks for 'python' in
> the path - which is not installed by pkgsrc. pkgsrc installs only the
> major.minor executables (python2.3, python2.4 and so on). I know that I
> could use the ARXPYTHON configure option, but if scons is installed
> then python is not really needed to build ArX.

Hmm.  What if I updated the configure script to check for those as
well?  Much like how it now looks for gnutar, then gtar, then tar.  I
could have it look for python, python2.4, python2.3, python2.2,
python2.1, and python2.0.  Debian and Redhat also use a similar naming
scheme, although they do provide the plain old "python".  Then it
should work out of the box on NetBSD.

Walter