arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Arbitrary properties replace File Permissions

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Arbitrary properties replace File Permissions
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:00:43 -0500 (EST)

Daniel Hedge <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello I am looking at using arx to manage files on multiple servers..
> Proper recording of permissions and ownerships is pretty vital to that
> so how does this change effect that? "Arbitrary properties replace
> File Permissions"

For permissions, if the appropriate property is set to true or false
(e.g. arx:user-read), then that permission will be set for that path.
Otherwise, the permissions will be whatever the original permissions
were when you originally committed the file.  Basically, if you want
to change permissions a lot, you have to explicitly notify ArX.

For ownership, ArX does nothing now.  That is usually what you want.
If person A commits a change and person B gets it, the files that B
has on his hard drive should be owned by B.  However, it would be
pretty easy to modify the properties so that the arx:owner would set
the ownership properly.  Note that this could make it impossible to
check out the repository if, for example, a particular user did not
exist.

Cheers,
Walter