arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] State of the Arches

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] State of the Arches
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:37:13 -0500 (EST)

Karel Gardas <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Tom Lord wrote:
> > he set out to reimplement `larch' in /C++/ and by all
> > reports has done quite well.  Of slight concern, perhaps, is that
> > `ArX' has fallen out of compatability, as far as I know, with `tla'
> > and `baz'.   It might be helpful, incidentally, for the greater
> > Arch community to help repair any residual personality rift between
> > Landry and I, at least enough to repair bidirectional compatability
> > between all branches.
>
> That would be just great!

Bidirectional compatability is unlikely.  The changes I have made to
the archive and patch format for things like arbitrary branch depth
(e.g. foo.bar.baz.bat.bag,13), i18n, generalized tags, properties, and
efficient binaries are rather dramatic.  I implemented cryptographic
checksums and mirroring differently, and I got rid of the implicit and
names inventory methods.  I am sure that I am forgetting some other
things as well.  Tla and/or baz would have to improve a lot for me to
consider any compatibility.

Cheers,
Walter