arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Reasons not to switch to ArX

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Reasons not to switch to ArX
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:09:24 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
I hope to be contributing to ArX soon, as I am starting to get more and
more free time.

Excellent!

Regarding the win32 port, the gui and eclipse plugin. There might be a way
to catch all the birds with one stone :
I will give it a look in the coming days, but would welcome any help ;-).

I would be happy to provide guidance, answer questions, and test the results. Sorry I can't commit to more than that right now.

I agree that a simple eclipse plugin shouldn't be too hard. The real challenge will be supporting refactoring! Perhaps the svn eclipse plugin folks have already started working on that?

The qt gui is an interesting perspective as well.
I have been dreaming on giving qt a try, and it sounds like a nice opportunity.

I have never liked Qt much, but now that they have released a Windows version under the GPL, I wouldn't object to its use. For most GUI apps, I would rather write them in Ruby than C++. Python would be another good choice. However, I definitely would not discourage the creation of a good tool in C++ if that's your language of choice.

And one thing as I am at it:
I find the documentation a little difficult to comprehend the first time.
I started a document that could qualify as a nutshell answering very basic
question that one asks himself the firt time (or coming back after long
vacations :-).
Is anybody interested in adding some more beef to it and publish it ?

I would love to see it. Perhaps we could at least link to it from the ArX home page, or even host it there.

A wiki would be great to make it easy for all of us to contribute.

Kevin