arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Proposal

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Proposal
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:45:39 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote:

> >> Regarding the win32 port, the gui and eclipse plugin. There might be a way
> >> to catch all the birds with one stone :
> >> I will give it a look in the coming days, but would welcome any help ;-).
> >
> > I would be happy to provide guidance, answer questions, and test the
> > results. Sorry I can't commit to more than that right now.
>
> All right boys, I have found a library called cryptlib
> (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/cryptlib/)
> and something called crypto++ that seems to be a c++ wrap-up
> (http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/cryptlib.html)

There is also a library called Botan (http://botan.randombit.net/)
which might be better maintained.  Monotone uses crypto++ right now
and is thinking of switching to Botan.  Crypto++ has problems if you
compile it optimized.

> Seems to me they hold everything we need to create a ssh ftp connexions
> without the gnome-vfs thingie.
> I didn't have the time to dive into them to be sure of this, what do you
> guys think about them ?

They have all of the crypto necessary for the job, but they don't
handle any of the networking.  So you would still have to implement
the protocol, which is non-trivial.  It is probably better to use
Silc.

<snip>
> > I would love to see it. Perhaps we could at least link to it from the
> > ArX home page, or even host it there.
> > A wiki would be great to make it easy for all of us to contribute.
>
> For now it's just a few questions (10 lines long maybe :-), and the
> wiki is definitely what I was thinking about.
> I talked about it with Walter, and he seemed to be ok with it.
>
> What about creating a GuiArX project on
> http://www.berlios.de/developers.php.en
> Because they have everything savanah offers + wiki, shell accounts etc.
>
> Let me know what you think about this.

It would be ideal if we could just put everything on savannah.  There
have been requests to make wiki's available at savannah.  Let me poke
them and find out if anything is going to happen soon.

Cheers,
Walter