arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] GUI front-end for ArX

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] GUI front-end for ArX
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:42:21 -0500 (EST)

Amine Chadly <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Ruby is by far my favorite mainstream language. I discovered it about 5
> > years ago, and use it whenever I have a chance.
>
> I will give it a quick look in the coming days to see if I can get easy
> enough
> with it to do some code ;-).
> If that works, I don't mind doing it with wxruby...
>
> >> I was thinking about c++ because it would help for the integration
> >> with browsers (a little bit like tortoise works for cvs if I remember
> >> correctly).
>
> I have seen some cvs integration with the kde browser (whatever that
> one is ;-)
> And it was really impressive and useful.
> I guess that we could start in C++ if I don't find enough time to dive
> into ruby.
>
> I guess that wxwidgets is the toolkit we should choose, after all we do
> have a
> wxguru in the mailing-list ;-).

I think the only viable contenders for cross platform gui toolkits are
Qt, wxwidgets, and Fltk.  The one thing that bugs me about Qt is that
you have to run your code through a preprocessor (moc), so the code
you write isn't _really_ C++.  I don't know much about Fltk.

Wxwidgets would be a fine choice.

> Concerning the Gui, I now have a few questions concerning the
> c++/python/whatever api
> that is available.
> I have had a look at the check_moved.py, but didn't manage to find the
> arx.py file containing
> the module with the arx functions.
> And if it was to be coded in c++, what would be the necessary includes ?
> Would it be includes, or most probably something like libArX.so ?

To build arx.py, you have to build the python bindings.  You have to
have swig installed, but otherwise "make python" should work.  There
are some notes in INSTALL.GENERIC about setting library load paths
etc.

> Is there a documentation of the api ?

Nope.  It is basically just automatically wrapping all of the
functions in srx/arx/include.  It could be significantly improved.

> Tell me if I am bugging with stupid questions  ;-)

Nope.

> I will try to look at the silc documentation tomorrow...but I am
> wondering which is important:
> Getting out that gnome-vfs dependency, or having the gui ?

Getting rid of gnome-vfs will also make it easier to bundle everything
together into a single download.  That would mean, for example, that
we would not need fink or pkgsrc for OS X.

Also, I occasionally get annoyed with gnome-vfs and want to rip it out
myself.

But really, you should work on what is interesting and/or useful to
you.

Cheers,
Walter