arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] GUI front-end for ArX

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] GUI front-end for ArX
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:01:09 -0500

Walter Landry wrote:
> I think the only viable contenders for cross platform gui toolkits are
> Qt, wxwidgets, and Fltk.  The one thing that bugs me about Qt is that
> you have to run your code through a preprocessor (moc), so the code
> you write isn't _really_ C++.  I don't know much about Fltk.
>
> Wxwidgets would be a fine choice.

I used fltk for a while, and helped develop the ruby-fltk bindings. I
absolutely loved fltk's simplicity (I tend to be a minimalist), but it
had two flaws that really bothered me:

1) It presents a look and feel that is not quite like anything else, so
fltk apps don't feel like native apps on any platform (including MS
Windows). Fltk 2 adds some kind of theme support, so it may fix this
when it becomes stable.

2) In the interest of speed, they made many of the methods non-virtual.
This makes it tough to extend some of the widgets.

I guess another drawback would be that the widget set is limited. But I
do really like the overall simplicity. Their event and color models are
particularly elegant (as long as you can live with their capabilities).

Overall, I prefer wx. It's a bit bloated, and a bit quirky (it has some
legacy MFC-like interfaces), but it does the job. I think FOX would be
my second choice.

Kevin