arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] BitKeeper "gratis" version discontinued

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] BitKeeper "gratis" version discontinued
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:39:57 -0400

More details. Here's Linus's explanation of why he has decided to stop
using BK. He suggests monotone as "the most viable alternative", but
does not say why. He's going to take "a week" to experiment with and
evaluate various options.

  http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0504.0/1540.html

Here's the slashdot story:
 http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/06/140202&tid=163&tid=8&tid=106

...but as with many slashdot stories, it's probably not worth your time
to read through the comments. I did at level 3, and it's mostly just
arguments about free vs. open vs. proprietary, and whether or not Larry
McVoy is an asshat.

There is an lwn article, too (not sure if you need to be a subscriber to
see it this week or not:

  http://lwn.net/Articles/130681/

It has a link to dwheeler's SCM page, which refers to ArX as a
"conceptual descendent" of GNU arch. I like that. Here's that page:

  http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm.html

I have always disagreed with Linus's choice of BK, and I have long felt
that Larry is an unpleasant person. But I must say that Larry is really
going out of his way to let the kernel folks down gently. There will be
one more release of BK that removes a critical limitation in the number
of patches, and bkbits will continue to mirror the kernel sources. That
all gives Linus time to carefully consider the successor. So a hearty
thanks to Larry for the surprisingly nice way he is pulling the plug.

Walter: Any thoughts about actively trying to get Linus to consider ArX?
It could be life-changing if he were to choose it.

Kevin