arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Hashes for revisions

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Hashes for revisions
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 12:05:29 -0400 (EDT)

Walter Landry <address@hidden> wrote:
> Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> To solve that, one possibility is to add a new file "uninteresting" to
> the patches.  If it exists, then the branch terminating with that
> patch is not considered for default "get" and "merge".  However, it
> would complicate mirroring, since we would have to check for the
> existence of that file every time you mirror, even if nothing changed.
>
> Another possibility is to add a new file ",uninteresting,<hash>" among
> the list of revisions.  So when you do a listing of the revisions, you
> will get that file as well.  Mirroring is not too bad, since you have
> to do the listing anyway, and you can check hashes to see whether it
> changed.  The only trick is how to update the file atomically.  Hmm.

I just came up with a simple answer.  We make an ,uninteresting
directory, and within that directory are zero size files listing which
lines to ignore.  Basically, we just abuse the filesystem as a
database some more ;) That makes additions and deletions atomic, and
mirroring is simple.

Cheers,
Walter