arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] ArX and simplicity

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] ArX and simplicity
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:17:55 -0400

Amine Chadly wrote:
> What I have been asking myself lately is a result from an earlier
> discussion between you and Walter.
> It was about the workstation-laptop scenario.
> I have been thinking about that idea of having unique revision
> identifications.
> I was also trying to understand that 'uncentralized' buzz of bitkeeper
> which is difficult as I have never used it.
> Anyways, at one point you asked :
>
>>We have one conceptual archive, but two actual copies. One is an ArX
>>mirror of the other. Or are they each mirrors of each other? In some
>>cases, might one be an scp exact copy of the other?
>
> and Walter answered :
>
>>All of the above.
>

> I would like to know how one would end up in such situation.

That discussion wasn't entirely clear to me at the time, and is less so
now. The idea is that you have an archive on your desktop. Now you want
to work on your laptop. You might use the "mirror" commands of ArX to
create a working copy on the laptop, or you might use scp.

If you use "mirror", my question was whether one of the two archives
would be considered the original and the other a mirror, or if they
would both be considered equal mirrors of each other. I forget whether
Walter answered that, and I still don't know the answer.

> Basically, I have been asking myself how a everyday use of ArX would be
> like in a development team... and I still haven't found a simple answer
> yet.

I think this is a more interesting topic, and one that I am also trying
to resolve. It's difficult trying to imagine it, without being able to
do real experiments (due to a current time shortage).

My first interest for ArX is as a solo developer, publishing (mirroring)
to a public http archive. My next interest would be to extend that to
work loosely with a couple other contributors who also use ArX. But I
would still be the dictator.

Then there is the third case, where we have a small team of equals,
working on a single project together. In our case, we are not in the
same office, and do not have LAN or VPN connections. I could describe my
current vision for how I would try setting this up, if you would like to
hear it.

I think these are the kinds of scenarios and best-practices that would
be great to document on a wiki.

Kevin