arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Other languages?

From: ODA Terutaka
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Other languages?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:22:35 +0900

Hello.

On 2005/07/19, at 01:59, Walter Landry wrote:

Joseph Andrew <address@hidden> wrote:

1. Are you at all open to any kind of gradual shift toward a dynamic
language?

(snip)
Development of ArX will probably stay in C++ simply because I want to
offer a single binary download (we're not there yet, but I don't want
to preclude it).  Depending on another language will make it more
difficult to install.  In any case, I am not convinced that depending
on any language is a sticking point.  After all, Monotone seems to be
doing all right with C++, and Darcs is certainly doing fine with an
even more obscure language.

I agree.
But, I think that a utility of a high level should be developed in
dynamic language(GUI or ViewARCH like browser).

However, I have considered switching over to python, mostly because of
the hassles with networking.  Unfortunately, it looks like it would
take a lot of effort to get to the point where there would be any
returns.

If I was able to use binary distribution such as arx or gnome-vfs,
 I think that it is not necessary to switch to python because it
was not necessary for me to experience a trouble.

2. Do you have any existing strong feelings about Ruby, positive or
negative?

I am japanese, so I like Ruby :-)
But, I do not know a ruby so in detail. I have made a slight program.