arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Diff visualization tools?

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Diff visualization tools?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:10:40 -0400

Walter Landry wrote:
Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

Are there any tools that can display a multi-file diff in a friendly way? Something like what some SCM cgi web tools generate[1], but in the form of a non-web GUI tool? Perhaps showing each file's changes in a different tab.

Most of them do this.  In particular, dirdiff, kdiff3, kompare,
xxdiff, and meld will show differences between two directories.  Some
use new windows, others use tabs.  mgdiff, imediff, and tkdiff don't
have this.

I guess I wasn't clear. The use is when someone sends me a patch file. Before I bother to apply it, I would like to see what it is trying to do.

The simple version would be a tool that I can hand just a diff file (one that might be fed to patch), and have it display it in a friendly way.

The cooler option would be a tool that would take a directory plus that patch file, and show the before and after as if I had already applied it.

As far as I can tell, all the tools you mentioned can only display a diff between two files or between two directories. Aside from possibly the emacs thingy, but I don't use emacs.

I was pointed to this by the author, which describes a tool that looks like it should handle my simple case:
  http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/7/21/121

Thanks,

Kevin