arx-users

[Arx-users] Fw: Arx on a simple webhost

From: Walter Landry
Subject: [Arx-users] Fw: Arx on a simple webhost
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:04:17 -0700 (PDT)

Forwarding this manually since it seems to be lost in the savannah mail system.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Arx-users post from address@hidden requires approval Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:09:30 -0400
following mailing list posting:

    List:    address@hidden
    From:    address@hidden
    Subject: Arx on a simple webhost

At your convenience, visit:

    http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/admindb/arx-users

to approve or deny the request.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Arx on a simple webhost Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:51:04 +0200
Hi,

On the project page it is stated that:

"Another important feature of ArX is that an archive can be published
on any HTTP web server. It does not require any special code running
on the server, which has some significant advantages: First, it allows
projects to host their code on almost any inexpensive web site,
including the free personal home pages offered by many ISPs. Second,
it keeps the server very secure, because the only service required is
a standard web server such as Apache or Boa."

I have some webspace on a commercial ISP, with the ability to run Perl
and PHP (but not Python etc) and FTP access (but no telnet or SSH). I
would like to have a system such as Arx to help me coordinate software
development between myself at home, myself on a laptop, and another
person on a different laptop. Because all these computers are likely
to be switched on at non-overlapping times, I thought about using the
webspace I had as a repository-type RCS client. Hence the statement
above looked incredibly promising (all other RCS/versioning
systems/CVS/etc offer no simple-webhost options but require complex
entanglement with Apache, etc).

I then read through the docs but that has left me confused. It is
entirely unclear how I would go about implementing Arx on my simple
webhost. Please could someone indicate whether (a) Arx really does
what that statement above says, (b) if I interpreted it correctly, and
(c) if so, how I should go about the installation and setup.

Cheers,
 aurelien.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: confirm 2d39362983138a887216b1f355fa1b5cb6329b4d
of the body of the reply.

--- End Message ---

--- End Message ---