arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Further thoughts on ArX and simplicity

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Further thoughts on ArX and simplicity
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:29:22 -0400

Walter Landry wrote:
Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

Ah. Would it be accurate to say that *conceptually* a branch would be partially ordered, but a branch *as stored in a particular archive* would be fully ordered?

Not even within a particular archive.

That confuses me. A branch has a sequence of revisions, from ,0 through ,n. Some patches could be swapped without changing the end result, but many couldn't. Regardless of that, they *were* applied to this particular branch within this particular repo in some specific sequence, and that specific sequence is recorded via the parentage scheme you describe below. So wouldn't the sequence represented by this branch serve to "fully order" the patches within this archive?

Except that I'm not a math guy, and I'm beginning to suspect that you are using some formal definition of "fully ordered" which isn't the same as my informal interpretation of the phrase.

Each revision only has one parent.  For the archive format that I am
proposed, the parent is listed in the directory listing.  The current
format is like an array, where it is easy to skip forward 10 patches.
The new format will be like a graph, where each node links with its
parent.  A node can have multiple children, though.  Graphically, it
will be something like

(graph snipped).

Right. Looks just like monotone, git, etc. That's what I suspected you were proposing.

Oh. I was thinking that a "patch" was essentially a diff/patch file, whereas a "revision" was a patch within the context of a branch, thus having a revision number. But it looks like a revision can contain multiple patches.

Now you are really confusing me.  A revision is the result of applying
patches.  Maybe a picture will help

Doh! No picture necessary. My brain somehow read "revision" as "changeset". It makes perfect sense that there are revisions (aka states, snapshots) and patches (aka deltas, changesets). I even blogged about that distinction at least once. Many apologies for my brain malfunction.

Kevin