arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] New archive location

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] New archive location
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:48:17 -0400

Walter Landry wrote:
There are two other things on superbeast that should probably just go
into the website: the codecon presentation and the expanded tarball of
the latest release.  Kevin, if you could do that I would appreciate
it.

I moved the codecon stuff.

It took me a bit to figure out what you meant by "expanded tarball", but now I see (it's for the release notes, docs, and browseable source link). I never realized that the http-served archive wasn't also human readable.

Anyway, I really don't want to put this on savannah. The way you update the web site in savannah is to check the site itself into CVS. Then it automatically propagates from the CVS repo to the web server.

CVS doesn't have recursive add, so it would probably take me an hour just to check in all the tarball files in all the deeply nested directories. Then, each time we push a new version, I would have to do it again. Either they would accumulate (and it appears to be 100 megs?), or we would have to name the directory without a version, and each release would replace the one before. But I would still have to add any files that had been created in that version.

In short, I think it's the wrong tool for the job. Even if someone knows of (or writes) a cool cvs-recursive-add tool, there are still issues.

Is there any chance of hosting it at adamantix? I would offer to host that part on my own server, but 100 megs is a non-trivial amount of data when you're paying hosting rates.

Kevin