arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Blog entry: Selecting an SCM

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Blog entry: Selecting an SCM
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:45:03 -0400

Walter Landry wrote:
I have another question.  Does mercurial really support plain-jane
HTTP servers?  All of the docs mention setting up a cgi script or
running "hg serve", and my limited tests didn't work.

I have been told repeatedly that it does. However, my understanding is that you have to specify the old http protocol, so a URL starting with "http://"; won't work.

  http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2005-June/001620.html

The reason this comes up is that I was thinking of how to optimize
network traffic with the new hashes for revisions format, and I wanted
to see what mercurial does.

Ah. I know the git folks had some fancy stuff going before they threw it all out and did packing. I don't think they've put fast http pulling back in yet. My memory was that they were talking about parallel pulls, and some http 1.1 (?) feature where you could request multiple pages with one get command? I wan't paying close attention so I could be all wrong.

Do you think plain http pulls would be any slower with the rev-hashes than what we have today? If not, I don't think it's worth worrying about. If so, I don't think it's worth worrying about yet :-)

Kevin