arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Blog entry: Selecting an SCM

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Blog entry: Selecting an SCM
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:37:26 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > I have another question.  Does mercurial really support plain-jane
> > HTTP servers?  All of the docs mention setting up a cgi script or
> > running "hg serve", and my limited tests didn't work.
> >

> I have been told repeatedly that it does. However, my understanding is
> that you have to specify the old http protocol, so a URL starting with
> "http://"; won't work.
>
>    http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2005-June/001620.html

It does not seem to be working.

address@hidden:~/arx/other_vc$ hg clone old-http://www.selenic.com/hg/ hg_http
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file revisions
modified 0 files, added 0 changesets and 0 new revisions

For some reason it does not download everything.  Using the plain
"http" url works fine.

> > The reason this comes up is that I was thinking of how to optimize
> > network traffic with the new hashes for revisions format, and I wanted
> > to see what mercurial does.
>
> Ah. I know the git folks had some fancy stuff going before they threw it
> all out and did packing. I don't think they've put fast http pulling
> back in yet. My memory was that they were talking about parallel pulls,
> and some http 1.1 (?) feature where you could request multiple pages
> with one get command? I wan't paying close attention so I could be all
> wrong.
>
> Do you think plain http pulls would be any slower with the rev-hashes
> than what we have today? If not, I don't think it's worth worrying
> about. If so, I don't think it's worth worrying about yet :-)

No slower than what we have now, but right now it is too slow.  Fixing
it requires futzing with the archive format, so I want to bundle all
of the format changes together.

Cheers,
Walter