arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Arx 2.2.4 mv/rm bombs on commit

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Arx 2.2.4 mv/rm bombs on commit
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:02:18 -0500

Walter Landry wrote:
Hmm.  The error message could still stand some improvement.  Internal
errors are for things that should never happen.  I have changed the
error to

ERROR: I can not find the parent of this file in the manifest.  Did you=
 forget
to add its parent directory?
   <filename>

Definitely an improvement, but could it be even friendlier? How did we get to this situation, anyway? Is it by moving an archived file into an unarchived directory? Can ArX detect the problem at the point it becomes a problem, and tell the user specifically at that point?

$ arx mv foo baz/
ERROR: Cannot move an archived file into an unarchived directory
 You must first add baz/ to the archive (see arx help add for details)
$

...or something like that?

Kevin