International support

From: Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen
Subject: International support
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:37:48 +0100 (MET)

> After reading the ispell(4) manual page I released that my current level
> of support for spell checking other languages is pathetic.  So I
> rethoight how things are done and posted my current plans at:
>
> http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/aspell/international/
>
> Please take a look at it and give me some feedback.

One thing that really is needed for Danish and German is an
option to allow "run-together" words to be accepted.

In Danish (and I guess the other Scandinavian languages), we form
words by concatenating others.
For instance, "pan cake" is written "pandekage", being composed
of "pande" and "kage".
Sometimes, we add an extra consonant (typically s) in between
the two words, but there are no simple rules for this.

The point is that this word construction is so common that it's
virtually impossible to list all words in a statis dictionary.
Therefor, it makes sense to have a switch that will accept
those words that seem to be run-together.

Greets,

Asger