Spelling LEXicon files for Microsoft Word

From: Howard Kaikow
Subject: Spelling LEXicon files for Microsoft Word
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:38:36

I asked Kevin Atkinson  whether it would be OK to post this, perhaps, off
the topic item. Consider it a one-time posting. I do not wish to distract
the list from its main task.
---------------
I am looking for pointers to sources of information (books, whitepapers,
etc.) that would enable me to make a dictionary of, say, 80000 words that
could be used with Word.

I think that the limit is 5000 for the built-in custom dictionary
capability, but I know that people sell specialized, such as medical,
dictionaries that are much larger. Also a straight text dictionary is
likely not too efficient.

It is my understanding that these specialized dictionaries are installed
instead of the built-in dictionary for the language used. It would be
better to have a separate specialized dictionary, but the 5000 word limit
prevents that and there is a limit of 10 custom dictionaries in Word.

I have not been able to find documentation on how to create a .lex
(spelling lexicon) file that could be used to Word, nor the interface to
hook that into Word.

Would the procedure be the same for Word 6, Word 7 and Word 8?