Aspell Corba integration for Gnome

From: Gregory Maxwell
Subject: Aspell Corba integration for Gnome
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 0:38:9

Has anyone considerd making a aspell corba servelet for Gnome?
I've been thinking about it, and I'd like to get some feedback before
trying it myself (and make sure no one else is doing it).
Here's how I've been thinking:
ORBit will run a servlet on demand. One copy per user. It will manage it's
config files and there would be a capplet for controling it (pointing it to
dictionary files, and configing suggestion ranking algs).
The applet will send requests like this:
checkspelling(language, "This is a complete sentence of text.", position)
Position would be the word we are intrested in checking. The reason for
sending the complete sentence is for the future possibility of context
sensitive suggestion ranking.
This would return a true/false and a preranked list of suggestions. The app
should also be able to return which suggestion was picked if any to assist
the suggestion alg. Has anyone looked into having aspell classify
misspelling for userdependent mistake-mode modeling? (i.e. I frequently
transpose two characters, and aspell would do better for me to rank such
suggestions higher).
Also, checkspelling(language, "This is another complete sentence of text.")
when the position is omitted we can check the whole sentence and return a
list of misspelled words and their suggestions.
I was thinking there should perhaps be some functions to drop
checkspelling(s) into a queue that will be checked in a low priority
background process. The checker can then send messages back to the
application as it checked entries in a fifo manner. This would be very
useful for word processors which do misspell underlining.
This servelet would of course maintain a cache of correct words, misspelled
words and suggestions. It might also be useful to keep an indexed mini
dictionarry in memory of the most commonly used words (who's size could be
determined by free memory/user prefrence and contence could be a combo of
pre-built static and dynammically generated user usage).

Ideally, the interface would be as generic as possible and the application
could ask gnome for what checker to use. This would allow other compeating
checkers if any evolved.
I'd also like to know if there has been any work on open source grammer
checkers? I'd like to make the spell checker as simmlar to a grammer
checker interface as possible.
Thanks for any advice.