[aspell] Aspell for Win32!

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [aspell] Aspell for Win32!
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 01:39:10 -0400 (EDT)

I have no idea what motivated me however I decided to install Cygwin on my
Win95 machine and give compiling aspell a while.  With a few modifications
to the source I was able to build a native win32 binary using mingw
msvcrt gcc 2.95.2.

You can find the fruits of my labor at http://aspell.sourceforge.net/

Here are the release notes:

This is a special prerelease of Aspell that will compile and run one
win32. Unless you are using win32 you should be using version .30 and not
.30win32 as this version has not been tested on a anything except win32
and linux.

It has NO improvements over aspell-.30 except for portability fixes.

The precompiled binary needs to be installed in the *:\aspell such as
c:\aspell in order for it to work.

It needs Cygwin installed. I used 20B but earlier versions should work.
The egcs distributed with Cygwin however it will NOT work for some strange
reason. Use gcc 2.95.2. The precompiled binary was created with the Mingw
version to make a native binary, however the cygwin version should work.

Also, all future version of aspell should compile under cygwin using the
mingw compiler.
---
Kevin Atkinson
address@hidden