[Aspell-user] Re: [SOLVED] "Sorry, this is an invalid choice."

From: Rafael Jimenez
Subject: [Aspell-user] Re: [SOLVED] "Sorry, this is an invalid choice."
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:52:59 -0700 (PDT)

I reply to my own question for the sake of completeness. See below:

% ================================================================
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Rafael Jimenez wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have been able to compile and use aspell (both versions 0.50.3 and
> 0.50.1) with success under Cygwin, using the following (TERM is set to
> 'unknown'):
>
> ./configure --disable-curses && make
> make install
>
> The problem is that when I use aspell to check file foo.txt (aspell -c
> foo.txt), I have a problem when trying to fix a word that is mispelled.
>
> I can tell which word is mis-spelled because it is sarrounded by stars
> (*), but when attempting to pick one of the offered choices, I'm told
> "Sorry, this is an invalid choice." This seems to happen only with
> numerical arguments, since the letter options such as 'x' or 'b' are
> recognized.

[...]
% =============================== SOLUTION ====
It seems that people are trying to build an aspell package for cygwin,
and they found the same problem (see thread after this message):

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-07/msg00222.html)

The problem related to the fact that you have to link to the ncurses
library. I installed the libncurses-devel package from cygwin setup. It
puts libraries in /usr/lib and headers in /usr/include/ncurses. Then, I
call configure with the following attributes:

$ ./configure --enable-ncurses=/usr/lib/libncurses.dll.a
--enable-curses-include=/usr/include/ncurses

Finally, doing:
make
make install

will install the program. Some messages of the type:

Info: resolving _aerror_conflicting_flags by linking to
__imp__aerror_conflicting_flags (auto-import)

appear, without further problems.

The compiled aspell executable now allows direct correction using the
proposed numbered options from aspell.