[Aspell-user] Calling aspell_config_replace() after to_aspell_speller()

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: [Aspell-user] Calling aspell_config_replace() after to_aspell_speller()
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:45:42 -0700

Hi Kevin and all.

It's been a while since I looked at Aspell in detail.

I had a Debian bug report on Text::Aspell

Where they created a spelling object and then tried to change the
language.  Is my understanding correct that once the speller is created
that changing "lang" in this example should have no effect?  In other
words doesn't creating the speller bind the options to a dictionary
file?

If that's true, is it true for all options?  And if for all options
should setting an option on an existing Speller report an error?

After I create a speller object I get the config settings back via:

   self->config  = aspell_speller_config(self->speller);

If you do look at that bug report you should know that Text::Aspell will
create the speller automatically the first time check() or suggest() are
called.

The xs interface code is at:

  http://search.cpan.org/src/HANK/Text-Aspell-0.02/Aspell.xs

I have fixed two segfaults in the soon-to-CPAN 0.03 version.

BTW -- a few people have asked for a way to pass entire documents to
Aspell through Text::Aspell.  Something like piping a document to aspell
-a.  I don't suppose there's an API for that -- or even an API to use to
split works so I could check them one at a time.

Another BTW -- the docs at

 http://savannah.gnu.org/download/aspell/manual/user/6_Writing.html

show

   AspellManager * spell_checker = 0;

but in my code I see I have:

   AspellSpeller * spell_checker = 0;

Is that just an issue of the on-line docs?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
address@hidden