[Aspell-user] personal dictionary not in proper format

From: Susan Hua
Subject: [Aspell-user] personal dictionary not in proper format
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:03:45 -0800

Hi,

I am new in aspell. This question has been confusing me for days. I could
not figure out why. I searched the manual and mailing list archive and still
got no luck.

I am trying to let web users to add new words to dictionary through perl
script.

I use the following command in perl to create dictionary:

system("aspell --lang=en create master /mypath/mydict < mywordlist");

This command does not give any warnings or error messages. mydict was
created(but not in a the proper format!).

I use the following command in perl to check spelling against default
dictionary and mydict:

system("aspell -a --lang=en --encoding=utf-8 -add-extra-dicts=/mypath/mydict
");

It complains that mydict is not in the proper format.

I copied files en.dat and en_phonet.dat from /usr/local/share/aspell to
/usr/share/aspell. Before I did this copy, it complained
"/usr/share/aspell/en.dat: name field is missing."

If I run from the shell the same command "aspell --lang=en create master
/mypath/mydict < mywordlist", it is successful. I can use the command
"aspell dump master /mypath/mydict" to see that the new word has been added.
But if I run the command through perl script, it won't work and gives me the
error messages I listed above.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

Susan