[Aspell-user] Ultimate Wiktionary

From: Lars Aronsson
Subject: [Aspell-user] Ultimate Wiktionary
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:08:46 +0200 (CEST)

People on this list might be interested in learning about a new
project named "Ultimate Wiktionary".  I'm not directly involved in
this, but I learned about it from my involvement in Wikipedia.

You probably know about Wikipedia, an open/free content
international encyclopedia using wiki technology, founded in
January 2001, http://en.wikipedia.org/  From early on, the
distinction between an encyclopedia and a dictionary was addressed
by setting up a separate sister-project for making a free
dictionary, termed Wiktionary, http://en.wiktionary.org/
Both projects belong to the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

But the approach of using the very same wiki software made
Wiktionary look a lot more like Wikipedia than, say, spelling
dictionaries such as Aspell.

The "Ultimate Wiktionary" is a new project currently in an early
phase of design and development.  Instead of using a plain wiki, a
complex relational database schema is drawn, with dozens of tables
for words, word classes, inflections, semantic definitions, etc.
Two good starting pages for information about UW are
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Wiktionary   and
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Wiktionary_data_design

The initiator of Ultimate Wiktionary is Gerard Meijssen.

--
  Lars Aronsson (address@hidden)