[Aspell-user] Thread Safety Question

From: Jake Goulding
Subject: [Aspell-user] Thread Safety Question
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:18:45 -0400

Is the current version (0.60.3) thread safe? Browsing the manual for
aspell has these two relvant sections:

      6.1.4 Notes About Thread Safety

Aspell should be thread safe, when used properly, as long as the
underlying compiler, C and C++ library is thread safe. Aspell objects,
including the AspellSpeller class, should not be used by multiple
threads unless they are protected by locks or it is only accessed by
read-only methods. A method is read-only only if a |const| object is
passed in. Many methods that seam to be read-only are not because they
may store state information in the object.

      D.1.1 Things that need to be done

  * Make Aspell *Thread safe*. Even though Aspell itself is not
    multi-threaded I would like it to be thread safe so that it can be
    used by multi-threaded programs. There are several areas of Aspell
    that that are potently thread unsafe (such as accessing a global
    pool) and several classes which have the potential of being used
    by more than one thread (such as the personal dictionary). /[In
    Progress]/.

Which of these two paragraphs should I trust?

Thanks!

-Jake