Re: [Aspell-user] using aspell for Arabic with diacritics

From: Mohammed Sameer
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] using aspell for Arabic with diacritics
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 03:47:00 +0200

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 09:25:34AM +0100, Hugo Coolens wrote:
> Even though I know most written Arabic doesn't use diacritic marks, it
> is very helpful for beginners. My problem is that I have a lot of words
> written with diacritics, when trying to spellcheck them with aspell,
> aspell refuses them as correct. I thought it would be just a matter of
> telling aspell not to look at the diacritics as follows:
> cat tekst.ar |aspell -a -d ar --ignore-accents=true
>
> but it seems not the right way to do this
> I also thought of using a filter something like:
> cat tekst.ar | tr 'harakaat' -d |aspell -a -d ar
>
> but I don't know what to use for 'harakaat'

I once wrote a small program to do this. I've cleaned it a bit and here it is:
http://home.foolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/src/clean_arabic.c?rev=1.1&view=auto

You'll need glib 2.x
To compile it: gcc  -o clean_arabic clean_arabic.c `pkg-config glib-2.0
--cflags --libs`

Pass it a file as an argument or it'll try to read from the standard input.
It'll write the "cleaned" Arabic on the standard output.

Good luck.

--
GNU/Linux registered user #224950
Proud Egyptian GNU/Linux User Group <www.eglug.org> Member.