[Aspell-user] Porting aspell from one Linux box to another (GNU newbie)

From: philip reed
Subject: [Aspell-user] Porting aspell from one Linux box to another (GNU newbie)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:26:47 -0600

Disclaimer: I've used GNU tools when they compile out of the box, but
I'm not terribly knowledgeable about some standard UNIX/GNU things
like tweaking library paths.   If my question is stupid, please direct
me to a good resource where I can teach myself.

==
My client needs to install aspell as the underlying engine for some
PHP-based spell-checking.   I tried to compile out of the box but
failed because my client's hosting service has a gcc version
"egcs-2.91.66".   Since 2.95 is required this is insufficient, and
apparently the hosting company isn't willing to upgrade.

I can build aspell 0.60.5 just fine on my own server.   How much work
is required to port it from one Linux server to another?

I tried doing this earlier and got bogged down in trying to tweak the
paths in the wrapper scripts to match the new host.   But perhaps I
was somehow making this harder than it should be.    What's the
minimum amount of copying I can do to get working aspell binaries on
my destination server?

Thanks in advance,

Philip Reed
--