Re: [Aspell-user] Re: Dictionary maintainers and team

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Re: Dictionary maintainers and team
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:53:21 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Christoph Hintermüller wrote:

Hi Keviin
Am Sonntag 23 September 2007 schrieben Sie:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Christoph Hintermüller wrote:

[Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I have been very busy with
other things]

Unfortunately I do am not keeping track of this information in a formal
manual. I have been trying to collect this information, in particular, I
would, for each dictionary, would like to have:
   1) The official upstream maintainer
   2) Someone responsible for keeping the Aspell version in sync with
      the upstream version
For various reasons this is not always the same person. I have an internal
database with some of this information but it is not complete.

However, for many dictionaries I have a general feel for how well it is
maintained and if the Aspell version is kept in sync with the official
upstream version.  So if you are interested in a particular dictionary let
me know and I can tell you what I know about it.

The one i'm most interested in for the moment is the german one, as the
article was about comparison of ispell, aspell, hunspell and commercial duden
speller. Tests were done with german text.

The German version is based on an older snapshot available at:
  http://j3e.de/ispell/igerman98/

I could stand to be updated. The Aspell version does not have an official maintainer. I could defiantly use someone to update it.

A while ago I did a survey which of the available dictionaries out there
for Aspell, Ispell, Myspell, Hunspell and how there compare.  It is a bit
out of date but I can send you that if you think it will be helpful.

Yes please. See below.

Attached. I hope to have an automatically updated version of this report posted somewhere on aspell.net some time soon.

Information on non-aspell dictionaries has not been updated in a while (Dec 2006 or earlier). I have some scripts which do some of the work on updating the list which I need to dig up.

In additional I would like to have a few people, with adequate time on
there hands, to help to help with the general maintenance of Aspell
dictionaries as I posted last November:
   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/aspell-announce/2006-11/msg00000.html

Ok i'v thought about that. I take the part of keeping track on the
dictionaries, contacting the last known maintainers, get new ones ...

Great! I will get back to you privately

Is it ok than that i write the letter to the editor concerning the article on
behalf of all the developers and active dictionary maintainers?

Yes, although if possible I would like to look it over.