[Aspell-user] Is Aspell Still Relevant in Light of Hunspell?

From: eleonora46
Subject: [Aspell-user] Is Aspell Still Relevant in Light of Hunspell?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:57:52 +0200

Hello,

>From Hungarian point of view, I stopped
using aspell since it does not support the
Hungarian enhancements, that is double folded
word endings. That causes in Hungarian, that
a correct word will be not recognized as correct,
if it has some kind of endings. For example as
if in English nice were recognized, but nicely not.

They are not slightly a preprocessing problem,
since their size is over 200MB for Hungarian
at a dictionary size of 24MB, (and also for other
agglutinating languages, like Turkish, Finnish,
Estonian, Basque, Persian and others.)

If aspell had this feature, it would be equivalent
to hunspell and a valuable second source spell
checker for any language. I know several language
tools that rely on aspell api, for example the java
open source translation memory of sun and others.

-eleonora