[Aspell-user] Building 0.60.5 with MinGW (gcc-3.4.5) in MSYS shell

From: Sisyphus
Subject: [Aspell-user] Building 0.60.5 with MinGW (gcc-3.4.5) in MSYS shell
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:38:29 +1100

Hi,
Basically just an FYI ... and it may well be old info, at that. (I haven't
checked.)

I built aspell-0.60.5 by first running:

./configure --disable-shared --enable-static --enable-win32-relocatable

(Without the "--enable-win32-relocatable" option I got the following errors
during the 'make' stage:
common/config.cpp:1363: error: `DATA_DIR' was not declared in this scope
common/config.cpp:1367: error: `DICT_DIR' was not declared in this scope
common/config.cpp:1373: error: `DICT_DIR' was not declared in this scope
common/config.cpp:1426: error: `PREFIX' was not declared in this scope
common/config.cpp:1461: error: `DATA_DIR' was not declared in this scope)

At the 'make' stage I got an error regarding asc_isalpha (from
common/file_util.c). Changing "#ifdef WIN32" to "#ifdef SISYPHUS" (SISYPHUS
is *not* defined) fixes that problem. I suspect that the "#ifdef" in
question should really be checking the definedness of something other that
"WIN32", but I'm not sure what.

Only other problem was that (initially) perl was not found. This was fixed
by adding perl to $PATH. I think "./configure" should probably have detected
that omission, but that's a very minor quibble.

If someone wants to take action on any of that, then that's fine ...
otherwise, feel free to ignore :-)

Having sorted out those couple of glitches with "make", the "make install"
step ran fine.

Nice work, btw !!

Cheers,
Rob