[Aspell-user] Error with en-common.rws when add a word to dictionary

From: Beginner
Subject: [Aspell-user] Error with en-common.rws when add a word to dictionary
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:12:19 -0000

Hi

International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.50.5)
I am using a Perl interface to Aspell (Text::Aspell).

I am trying to add a word to an personal dictionary. I have the
following options:

lang=en_GB
dict-dir=/var/www/cgi-bin/dictionaries
personal=testdict.dict
size=10

Then there is a method to "add_to_personal":

$speller->add_to_personal($wordToAdd) || die "Failed to add
$wordToAdd: " . $speller->errstr;

When it gets to the line above I get the following error:

Failed to add foobarbaz: The file "/var/www/cgi-bin/dictionaries/en-
common.rws" is not in the proper format.

The only discrepancy I can see comes from strings (rowl 1.{10,4})

>strings en-common.rws
aspell default speller rowl 1.10
phonet

>strings testdict.dict
aspell default speller rowl 1.4
phonet

Does anybody know if this is the source of the error and perhaps some
suggestion on how I resolve it?

TIA,
Dp.