[Aspell-user] Medical dictionary in Aspell

From: Carol Ludwig
Subject: [Aspell-user] Medical dictionary in Aspell
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:11:22 -0500

A few months ago I asked for help in getting a medical dictionary into
Aspell with the purpose of using in FCK Editor.  I've gotten several
queries about the solution and thought I would post it here in case
others are searching.  The only medical dictionary I could find offered
was a .rws file compiled on a different OS the
Fedora Core 6 I was using:

  I went to http://www.e-medtools.com/openmedspel.html and downloaded a text medical term
file for OpenOffice.  You get a zip package that has an ascii file of words.  Then I used the
Aspell directions for adding custom  dictionaries to create my own .rws file from that.  In my
Linux (Fedora Core 6) this is found by the command:  info aspell.  You have to add the line
extra-dicts <rwsfile name> in the aspell.conf file, which in Linux is /etc/aspell.conf.  If there
is no  file there, just create one.   The command "aspell dump config" shows information about
aspell config and should show the extra-dicts line after you install it.
  A text file is actually just what we were looking for, as we want to be able to add terms.  This
way the spellchecker within FCKEditor calls aspell and works, and the text file installed in
OpenOffice works  with the same list.