Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell uses a common English user dictionary for AE an

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell uses a common English user dictionary for AE and BE
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 18:33:42 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Florian v. Savigny wrote:

I am a bit puzzled by aspell's behaviour regarding my personal
dictionary. I am using aspell through Emacs' user interface, which
passes it either "-d british", or "-d american", according to its own
documentation. While in itself, this does make the expected difference
(if I choose "british", spellings like "rationalise" will be OK; if I
choose "american", they will not), it seems to maintain only one
common English user dictionary (i.e. for both AE and BE). The latter
is called .aspell.en.pws and is updated with new words regardless of
whether I have chosen "british" or "american".

Unfortunately this is a design choice I made that is not easy to fix. Arguments can be made either way. The basic problem is that while "british" and "american" are separate dictionaries they are technically the same language "en" as seen by Aspell and personal dictionaries names are based on language, not the dictionary. One think you can do is to explicitly set the personal or "-d" config option. Like so
               ^^ that should be "-p", sorry
 aspell -d british -p .aspell.en_GB.pws