[Aspell-user] Polish dictionary problems, Win32 version

From: Lester Vanhoff
Subject: [Aspell-user] Polish dictionary problems, Win32 version
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 07:13:42 -0400

I know that nowadays Aspell is basically Linux only application, but
if someone here still runs the Windows version I would appreciate
some help.

System info:

Windows XP SP3
PC language settings:
 - English w US keyboard or Polish w Programmers keyboard
Aspell v0.50.3 alpha

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8884/08032008045613ue2.png

I have installed Polish Dictionary (Windows version)
"aspell-pl-0.50-2-3.exe" from this page:

http://aspell.net/win32/

and it doesn't work properly. At the same time, my Canadian English
dictionary works like a charm. Everything seems to be installed
properly:

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/8725/08032008045814fv5.png

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5002/08032008050053ic2.png

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/4149/08032008050211wd5.png

File "pl.dat" points to the proper character set (Central European):

-----
# Generated with Aspell Dicts "proc" script version 0.50.1
name pl
charset iso8859-2
soundslike none
-----

To run Aspell from a text editor, the following batch file is used:

F:\Aspell\bin\aspell.exe -c -e --lang=pl -x %1

The equivalent Canadian English version is:

F:\Aspell\bin\aspell.exe -c -e --lang=en_CA -x %1

Below is a sample list of Polish words (all correctly spelled). Both
UTF-8 and Unicode versions are attached, just in case:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Q01GUXVuTmFVbTlFQlE9PQ

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Q01GUXVuTmFreEJjR0E9PQ

Here is what I get when I run Aspell.

1) As it scans English text at the beginning of the list, it tries to
suggest Polish replacements, which is just fine. At the same time,
however, it makes a complete mess of all the Polish words further
down on the list:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4143/08032008053836xr9.png

2) When the scan gets to Polish words, the things don't get any
better:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7730/08032008054627wp5.png

I'm surprised that after spending quite a while googling around, I
haven't found anyone else experiencing this kind of a problem.

Tnx