[Aspell-user] Compiling the native WIN32 or Cygwin version of aspell-0.6

From: Thomas Steinbach
Subject: [Aspell-user] Compiling the native WIN32 or Cygwin version of aspell-0.60.6
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:49:36 +0100

Hello,

I would like to get the native win32 version running, using
MinGW to compile.

If I follow the build steps, I can use configure with MSYS

---snip---
CFLAGS="-O2" \
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" \
LDFLAGS="-s" \
./configure --prefix="C:/usr/local" \
--with-gnu-ld \
--enable-shared \
--enable-win32-relocatable \
--enable-curses=pdc34dll/pdcurses.lib \
--enable-curses-include=pdc34dll
---snap---

btw the pdcurses libs/includes are located in the subdir "pdc34dll"
and the "-mno-cygwin" in the CFLAGS shouldn't neccessary with
the MinGW gcc

But if I try to run make I got the following error with mingw:

---snip---
[...]
common/file_util.cpp: In function `bool
acommon::need_dir(acommon::ParmString)':
common/file_util.cpp:49: error: `asc_isalpha' was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [common/file_util.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/usr/src/aspell-0.60.6'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
---snap---

How can I fix this and where is "asc_isaplpha" declared?

Second try:

If I compile with cygwin and using "-mno-cygwin" I got a large
executable of aspell.exe (~1MB) and aspell still needs the cygwin1.dll
cygintl-8.dll and cygncurses-8.dll. Why? I'm using "-mno-cygwin"
but it doesn't work without this cygwins dlls..

---snip---
CFLAGS="-O2 -mno-cygwin" \
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" \
LDFLAGS="-s" \
./configure --prefix="C:/usr/local" \
--with-gnu-ld \
--enable-shared \
--enable-win32-relocatable \
--enable-curses=pdc34dll/pdcurses.lib \
--enable-curses-include=pdc34dll
---snap---

And I got errors if I try to link against the "w" or "u" version of
pdcurses.lib version 3.4. I can only compile against the "normal"
and the "s" version. But not sure about the diffrences. See:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=30480&package_id=22452&release_id=624994

I think the "w" (pdc34dllw.zip) version is the wide-character and
should be the version used to enable the "utf-8" support of aspell.
The "u" (pdc34dllu.zip) version is a unicode-character (???) version.
The "normal" Version (pdc34dll.zip) and the "s" (pdc34dlls.zip)
seems to be ok to compile with cygwin.

Does anybody know why there is a "s" version and what is the
difference between "w" and "u"? (I know this is a aspell list, but
I hope somebody know it and perhaps he/she can tell me the differences,
cause my english is not very good and I can't find the relevant infos in the
large pdcurses documentation file with 140kb plain tex).

Thomas