Re: [Aspell-user] Where is the personal dictionary for English language?

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Where is the personal dictionary for English language?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:02:26 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Swarup wrote:

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 10:22 -0600, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Swarup wrote:

# personal (string)
#   personal dictionary file name
# default: .aspell.<lang>.pws = .aspell.en.pws

The "default:" line tells you what the effective value is.

Can you tell me how to change the setting, so that it will look as you
say it should look. I very much want to be able to edit that personal
English dictionary.

Please see the manual. There are multiple ways to configure Aspell. A personal configuration file will be your best bet.

I am somewhat confused at this point as to where all those words I
added, have been saved.

If its not ".aspell.en.pws" I do not know where it will be. Is there no other files that start with ".aspell" in your home directory?

You can also make sure Aspell is being used by creating a document with
some words you know are in the personal dictionary and then checking it
using "aspell check".

I can do so, but I think you'll see by the gedit version that it is not
new, and I believe predates the inclusion of Enchant.

Well, this is the only way I will be convinced Aspell is being used.

Also, it could be gedit is changing the settings. At this point I can't really give you any more advice other than use strace on gedit and look for any files opened with "aspell" or "en", etc in the name.